Click masthead to order paperback or visit online retailers like Amazon and Barnes & Noble

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

FEELING GUILT

THIS LITTLE PIGGY BELONGS TO THE DEVIL (pg .131)

I sit on the edge of my bed studying my hands while Brenda changes for the night. The skin sags and puckers between the fingers. They are old man hands but I can’t remember when they got there. There is a gap in my life from forty to sixty. On one side of the canyon I look and feel and behave as I always have; on the other side…this side…I have sagging, crinkly skin. I look like an old man but I did not get here in degrees. It didn’t creep up on me. I just woke up this way, the owner of new and different aches and pains and a medicine cabinet full of pills meant to control them.

From my perch on my side of the mattress, I hear Brenda in the bathroom.

“Why did you mention the divorce?”

“He hasn’t really talked to me since the...since the birthday party. I thought I forced him into the divorce. I thought he blamed me for their deaths.”

Brenda comes back into the bedroom.

“Do you blame yourself?”

Maybe I shouldn’t answer.

“Yes.”

“You have spent your life saying two things: It will be alright or I’ll fix this. Clark is right. Whatever Plan B you think fits this situation...this time you can’t fix it and it won’t be alright.”

She climbs into bed, shuts the light and settles under the covers. I sit there staring out the window.

But I can fix this.

I can make it better.

George and I can make things right.

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Piggy-Belongs-Devil-ebook/dp/B006J9PX8A

No comments:

Post a Comment